Saturday, April 30, 2011

Butternut and butterbean dip

Ok, so I've been doing a lot of recipes with butternut squash lately (see here) but this should be the last one for quite a while, as I've just about finished off the massive glut we had for a few weeks.

Just a simple spiced dip for lunch, a kind of squash and bean houmous (more houmous here if you don't fancy squash), it was really great with some celery and toast. It's not a recipe but more of a houmous variation. It tasted great so I figured I'd post it.


About a third of a squash, cubed and steamed for 10 mins (as per so many of my other recipes - sorry!)
A tin of butter beans, drained (you could use any beans but I really love butter beans)
1 tomato (optional but I think it adds a bit of juiciness)
Spices - try a pinch of chilli flakes and cumin seeds that have been roasted lightly in a pan and then crushed, or paprika could also be good.
Lemon juice
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Could also add - a drizzle of honey, a bit of garlic, more tomato. Experiment!

Whizz everything up to a paste in a food processer, adding olive oil, lemon juice and a bit of water where necessary, tasting as you go. What could be simpler than that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment