Friday, May 13, 2011

My first grow your own experience...

Well I've been pretty absent here lately, but I have a good reason. I've started growing my own - now I've got a garden, I've got space for lots of pots of lovely edible things. I started off with just a few tomato seeds, but I've been excited by the fact that I'm not killing everything off within days and my collection of happy plants now streches to courgettes, baby leaves, little gems, peppers, bright lights chard, radishes, french beans and strawberries. It's hard work - but I can't wait to taste the fruits and veggies of my home grown labour.

I don't want this to turn into a growing your own blog, because it's about using what you get in your veg box every week, and I'm just going to be supplementing my weekly box with home grown delights (just expect many courgette recipes when they start to crop - fingers crossed!). And besides, there are plenty of grow your own blogs out there (Real Men Sow being a fantastic example). But - that doesn't stop me from being totally delighted with our first ever home grown salad the other evening.

It was nothing more than baby leaves, picked two minutes earlier (a mixture of rocket, mizuna, mustard oriental red, lambs lettuce and land cress), and a simple dressing of dijon mustard, lemon juice, a little black pepper and olive oil, a few pumpkin seeds and some parmesan. And it was delicious, especially knowing that I'd grown those lovely little leaves from tiny seeds.


No comments:

Post a Comment