Monday, March 28, 2011

Spiced cauliflower salad

To use up the rest of my vegbox cauliflower, I used this recipe as a starting point (thank you BBC!). As I said before, I think cauliflower is yummy with plenty of spice, so I added a few things and some extra nuts and it turned out great. Roasting cauliflower isn’t something that most people would think to try, but it really does enhance the flavours. Here’s my version.




1/3 cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
half a handful of cashews
half a handful of blanched almonds
1 red onion, sliced into rings
a handful of sultanas or raisins
cumin seeds
mustard seeds
chilli flakes
a pinch of turmeric
some salad leaves (we were sent a lovely selection this week – I’m not sure what they are though. One reminded me of a dock leaf).

Roast the cauliflower and onion, sprinkled with the spices with a dash of oil for about 15 minutes. Add the nuts to the tray and return to the oven for another 5.

Let the roastings cool slightly, then toss it all together with the leaves, drizzling over any extra roasting oil. Tuck in and wonder why you ever said you hated cauliflower.

No comments:

Post a Comment