Sunday, January 23, 2011

It's farmhouse breakfast week!

Which I'm really excited about, because breakfast is probably my favourite meal of the day. This morning I made what my good friend, former housemate and brilliant cook Laura (who taught me to make it) calls pottage (but I've also heard called bircher muesli).

You can make it the night before or leave the oats to soak for about half an hour before you eat it. It's really nice and silky, and you can use whatever dried fruits, nuts and seeds you like.


You just need to combine a portion of oats with some dried fruits (I used a mixture of raisins, sultanas and other vine fruits) and soak in enough milk (or apple juice, or a combination) to cover. You can also add a grated apple, or some dried apricots, dates or dried apple. Once that's done, break up some nuts (pecans and walnuts are nice) and sprinkle over some seeds. Then add any extra milk if needed and serve, with a drizzle of honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment